Tuesday, April 25, 2006

San Francisco

The wind blows ceaselessly moving thousands of papers and rubbish, strewing the steets, sweeping misery, chapping the crimson homeless' faces and those of the wakos haunting the city. Women, men, mixture of both, transvestites not having had enough money to finish the work, the vision of all this people in perdition if scary

Last year I was in Bombay, there was a lot of misery, but here it is this human madness which really shocks. Round the corner of a huge building, in the icy wind, a man half naked dances in a tutu
touseled hair, he jumps, shouts and digs with his grubby fingers between the cracks in the sidewalk to pick up dirty cigarette butts . Further away, an African American man sleeps huddled-up in a door way, pants down to his knees, open mouth. A toothless transvestite, a year old faded hair tint, skin riddled with scars holding a pink purse in his hairy arms. Yesterday I promised myself to avoid the most striken by perdition areas of the city, I always ended up broken, sad and unstrung.
So I headed to the Pacific, to the waves. Sailboats tilted by the wind raced in the bay, the sea lions were basking in the sun on the pontoon groaling and thousands of tourists were uncovering the beauties of San Francisco.
The bedroom found on the internet with a view to a wall in one of theses small victorian Castro houses definitely lacks light.
I am going to look for another one soon. Castro, gay paradise, women are sparse, men interwine and hunt. The neighborhood is really cool and lively. When downtown San Francisco is wrapped in a fog cloud, Castro shines under dazzling sun. Today I went to Oakland, thirty minutes door to door with BART, it's great I met some teacher, the dean. They are all quite friendly. I have an office with a view to Lake Merritt, it's beautiful. The climate in the Bay area is much milder than in SF, I am looking forward to start work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home